The barn, in the village of Puttenham, is well sited for exploring the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty as well as a stopping place along the North Downs Way.
Staying at the barn gives you ready access to:
- Many miles of footpaths, bridleways and quiet lanes ideal for exploring on foot or bicycle. The Christmas Pie cycle route from Farnham to Guildford (leaflet and map, scanned pdf, 1.7MB) is a good example.
- A series of walks with maps from the Surrey Hills organisation, including one for Puttenham (near the bottom of their web page)
- The Fox Way - a circuit of walks around Guildford passing through Puttenham
- Puttenham Common - 253 hectares of remnant lowland heath with woodland, rolling hills and stunning views
- Watts Gallery at Compton - see the works of "England 's Michaelangelo" approximately two miles east along the North Downs Way. Excellent walk or cycle ride, mostly car-free
- Watts chapel in Compton - a glorious art nouveau memorial; approximately two miles east along the North Downs Way
- Norman churches (in Compton, Seale, Puttenham and Peper Harow)
- Waverley Abbey - romantic ruins by the River Wey
- Manor Farm Craft Centre in Seale, with cafe
- Hogs Back Brewery at Tongham
- The Great Barn at Wanborough
- Two good pubs close by - the Good Intent, whose landlady is supportive towards the barn, and the Jolly Farmer Harvester
- Rural Life Centre, near Tilford, about 8 miles south west of Puttenham
- Horse drawn narrowboat on the River Wey from Godalming
- Hire of rowing boats and narrow boats, and arranging skippered cruises from Farncombe Boat House
- Godalming Leisure Centre, Summers Road, on the edge of Broadwater Park, Farncombe. Swimming, café, tennis courts, undercover cycle parking
- Godalming Museum, High Street, Godalming (5 miles south-east of Puttenham). Teas and coffees served in an area where you can eat your own sandwiches - either indoors, or outdoors in their delightful Jekyll and Lutyens style courtyard garden. There is free admission and cycle racks are nearby.
- Greyfriars Vineyard offer interesting and tasty tours where you can sample their award-winning sparkling wines.
Some links of interest:
- National trails website, North Downs Way
- For a Dutch view of the North Downs Way, in Dutch, try Math de Ponti's website.
- Hij heeft ook een boek over zijn ervaring geschreven, in het Nederlands.
- Guildford Walkfest - annual summer walking festival
Project Oasis North Downs is grateful for the financial and other assistance given by many individuals and organisations in enabling the camping barn to be established: